Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

USCC Data

Discussion in 'US Cellular Forum' started by Gonz, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    Anyone know if USCC plans to open up their 1x to customer use tethered by laptop to phone? Obviously, they have the 1x network, but say that they are unable to do it without a certain phone data package (for PDA) or an aircard... They also bill $60 or $80 a month for unlimited usage, which, I don't need. I just wanna be able to use my minutes to access their easyedge data, like I do with Verizon's EN/Nationalaccess.

I called them today, and obviously they dont teach their employees much about the technology available other than what they need to know. I could't get a straight answer as to if they can or can't do that.

Do they plan on putting up EVDO or UMTS/WCDMA someday? What's their upgrade path?

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I've heard on other forums that, eventually, they plan on upgrading to EVDO, but that may take a while...that is all I heard and I don't even know if it's accurate.

By the way, Gonz, it is nice to see you around on the forums again. How have you been?

3. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    You can get $9.95 easyedge unlimited and connect using #777. Some people have been cancelled for it, but if you don't use it much they really don't seem to care.

4. they already have EVDO up in Wisconsin.. (or parts of it).. but ive not heard any specifics on their other markets.

you can, as noted before, get unlimited easyedge for $9.95 per month and 'tether', but if you do it too much... as in gigabytes for month, after being warned once or twice you will be cancelled. ive saw a few threads over at hofo pertaining to this.

5. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This is very interesting. It'll be what lets me switch back to USCC. I really need to tether.

Andy, I've been very well thanks. I've been away for a while, at school at University of Wisconsin Platteville. I'm extended down there with USCC on my VZW phone, and have no internet tether capability other than VZW Quick 2 Net (only when forced on Alltel).

Seems like USCC is getting to be very attractive. Has anyone tethered using a bluetooth USCC phone? Dialup Instructions? USCC Dial Software?

Thanks all.

6. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Also, do you guys know if it works in extended net? USCC's web page seems to indicate that they now have data roaming agreements. If it works nationwide, I'd be in heaven. SChweet!

7. TallyHoYall

TallyHoYall New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I can check when I'm at work today... I haven't heard anything big about data roaming, but then again, our regional manager is kind of ditsy, so it wouldn't surprise me if she hasn't told us important stuff lol :rolleyes:

CDMA and data roaming is always a fun-filled story to research haha :) - I'll let you know what I find.

8. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks man.

I Can't wait to ditch VZ for USCC so I can finally not be in extended w/o features at school....

Question:

If I buy a razor (for USCC) on ebay, I've heard I can get a plan without signing a contract. What "promotional features" are not available for not signing a contract? If my family eventually goes back to a sharetalk, and I add them to my account, can I have a phone number in a different area code than them w/o problems in billing? We're both on the same SID, not sure about market.

Thanks

9. yes you could have two diffent numbers from two different markets on the same plan. in fact, on my plan, the number is an 865 area code from the Knoxville market, and the other number on my plan has a 423 area code from the former Eloqui Wireless (TN-3) market. If you're in the same SID, i'm pretty certain that you would be within the same market.

I'm not sure what features are unavailable with the no-contract option, if I was guessing I would say pricing would be different and maybe a more expensive activation would apply? You'd have to call USCC on that one.

10. tater

tater New Member

If I buy a razor (for USCC) on ebay, I've heard I can get a plan without signing a contract. What "promotional features" are not available for not signing a contract? If my family eventually goes back to a sharetalk, and I add them to my account, can I have a phone number in a different area code than them w/o problems in billing? We're both on the same SID, not sure about market.

Thanks

First I want to caution you on buying an ebay phone. They don't always work even if they are unlocked. If you can get a USCC phone its your best bet and you should look for a phone that was used in your market.

USCC has some newer plans that came out in July of 06, whether you get a contract or not you will get all the full promotional features. On a single line you will get "Free Incoming" and "Nights and Weekends" depending on which price plan level you go with. On the Family (share-talk) Plans the plans start at 2 lines and you get "Nights and Weekends" and "Mobile to Mobile". So to answer your question. If you get a phone from a different source than USCC and want to get a plan with it, you DO NOT need to sign a two year agreement. Activation fees will still apply, but you won't be locked in a contract.

11. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks tater, I already knew the part about no contract, I was just interested in the features bit. I was required to know USCC's policies before they changed their plans for my former job. As for ebay, I'll be fine. I can always flash it if I need to. I've dealt with phones and ebay for plenty of years now.