Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

US Cellular fringe roaming issue

Discussion in 'US Cellular Forum' started by jeffrito, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jeffrito

jeffrito New Member

I have a national calling plan with Us Cell and spend a couple days a week at a contract job in Kittery, Maine.

I've had three phones (Kyocera, Motorola, Blackberry) with the same account and they all behave the same:

The phones cling to a one- or no-bar signal off a home tower. When a call comes in, I can not hear the caller (once in a while I get a couple clipped words). Then the call is dropped and the phone has roamed to a five-bar tower (Verizon?). Then I can successfully call the party back.

Once the call is complete, the signal reverts back to the home tower, and I'm back to square one. To call out, I simply call my voice mail first, which forces a roam, then I hang up and call the number.

I've contacted customer service and get the *228 run-around.

Is there anything to be done in this situation?

Intuitively, I understand that they want to use their own towers, but I wish the tolerance for a home vs. roam connection were higher, so that the phone would not settle for less than two or three bars when a stronger roaming tower was available. Is this a "setting"? How does it work?

2. UnspokenVoice

UnspokenVoice New Member

Farmington area, it has been like this for a couple of days. Don't do the *228 thing (according to the tech) unless you're CERTAIN that you're on a USCC tower. Today I have been on Verizon and AT&T. The funny thing is AT&T doesn't service this area.

I've been on the phone with them, they're sending an engineer out at some point in the future they claim. I had them make a note in my account to ensure that I'd not be charged roaming fees because this is just freakish.

I have no idea why, how, or what not. I just know that it's been odd. I showed up as Verizon Wireless on someone's CID, I was amused. I can't call 611, #bal, or anything like that. I'll be calling them again tomorrow as the signal is just this single bar while I normally get a full load of bars and the display complains at me saying that I'm digitally roaming.

At least I can still make calls and browse the 'net on it if I want. That's about all I've got for you.

3. jeffrito

jeffrito New Member

Good luck with that!

Overall, I am pleased with US Cell's service (and having Verizon as the primary roaming backup works well).

4. UnspokenVoice

UnspokenVoice New Member

It's just odd really. The missus works at a local diner and I called and it had my number and said it was Verizon again. Ah well.