Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

DATA services

Discussion in 'US Cellular Forum' started by htech, Mar 1, 2008.

1. htech

htech New Member

I'm currently with att and I'm movin into a Nebraska rural area which doesn't get any att service so I'm on the hunt for a provider. A couple people have said that US Cellular is a really good company so I'm considering them before Alltel. My question, I'm a data user and am looking at the blackberry line of phones. I know the technology is CDMA but what type of data do they use on their network? I see the easy edge thrown around. Is this EVDO? Or is this just 1X slow data? I'm not too familiar with the network so if someone could bring me up to speed I would really appreciate it!

2. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    If you want data you don't want U.S. Cellular... almost the entire network is still 1x with no hope in sight of EV-DO. It's either Madison or Milwaukee WI that is EV, and that is only set up as a test bed.

3. htech

htech New Member

thanks for the reply! good to know about the EVDO.

4. tyler101868

tyler101868 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6265i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    Gotta agree on that one. I've been a very satisfied US Cellular customer for 9 years. They are a great VOICE provider. Their texting packages are nice because they give you free incoming texts, but when it comes to data, they are probably 2 years behind the major carriers.

I'm not sure that Altel will be a lot better. Is Verizon a posibility? They have good national coverage and a lot of broadband areas. Hope this helps.

5. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel is doing a big push on EV-DO. Most of the network will probably be covered by the end of the year. Their plans are also a LOT better than Verizon's based on $$.

Check this map to see if you have it in your area:
    Alltel MobileLink Coverage

6. htech

htech New Member

thanks! that's really good coverage...better than I thought. I guess it's between Sprint and Alltel. I kinda hate to sign with Alltel since I have had some issues with them in the past (sent me to a collections agency over their billing mistake and finally after a year admitted it was wrong after I threatned litigation and showed all the proof.)

7. Dogma

Dogma Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel/Verizon
    Your best bet will more than likely be with Alltel, if you can stomach going back with them after your biling issues:mad: I know how frustrating billing/CS can be, and often they can burn bridges that can't be mended.

That being said, Sprint is not a great rural provider either...practically no better than AT&T.

8. acapwell

acapwell New Member

Sprint EVDO if you can find it there. They are leading the way if you are looking for speed along with a reliable service. Please keep in mind they are going the extra mile to satisfy there customers,They are here for the long run and will not dissappoint ... Look into there all you can eat plans.

Good Luck and here's the link to help pin point the coverage area ,Its a long one:
    Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

9. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The all you can eat plans are in place to bring back the numerous customers they frustrated to the point of leaving. Sprint is not known for pleasing customers at all.

10. acapwell

acapwell New Member

Understood,. We all understand the reasons for the plans. We all understand Sprints customer service has been way below average. What I am trying to convey is simple, Sprint recognizes their faults and are trying to fix them. Sprint understands customer service should be #1 and it needs improving in a big way. I think this is a BIG step in the right direction.
    Please don’t make this a fighting match about Sprint and their customer service. We get it.

11. Dogma

Dogma Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel/Verizon
    I hope Sprint does turn things around, it is only better for the consumer and telecom industry as a whole if they do. The more choices consumers have, the lower prices stay. That being said, Htech living in rural Nebraska is going to have better network coverage with Alltel than Sprint (on the average). If Htech were living in a larger city, I wouldn't blame him for shopping Sprint.

12. acapwell

acapwell New Member

Point well taken Dogma, Well said!

13. htech

htech New Member

Thanks! Sprint may be the way to go... I have had them in the past and looks like a tower is being built less than a mi away from my new house on the map. guess I can't beat that!

14. MorePower

MorePower New Member

I have had Sprint for the last 5 years and I'm happy with them. We recently upgraded from the Treo 650 to the Treo 700w & 755 to take advantage of the EVDO. As a result, we could no longer take advantage of the "free" 'phone as modem' data plan. We now utilize a Sprint air card and cellular router along with our Treo and are content with our Sprint plan and coverage.

Sprint gets my recommendation!

15. acapwell

acapwell New Member

:)
    I have the air card and it works really well. I am very satisfied with it. sorry to hear about your "free phone as a modem" deal, I am sure you are enjoying the air card better.

When they come out with Wimax,I am there!

16. MorePower

MorePower New Member

We do enjoy the aircard, it's just the $49.99 a month for unlimited access that I don't care for. We have a cellular wireless router so that my wife & I can both utilize the access. We are pleased with our set-up and the Sprint network.

17. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    USCC does however allow data roaming with Verizon. One could think that if one edited a PRL to enable picking up Verizon EVDO....